October 26, 2012

Be my fellow.

- Lonely is a very dangerous thing to be. -

Today I was at our local food bank - it's a place, where homeless or poor people can go and get a warm meal at midday. I came about two hours before lunch was served, cause I wanted to visit someone.
So I sat there all alone in the big dining room - the ladys working there were preparing the food in the kitchen and nobody except of me was there, cause it was so early. I read a magazine and did my homework for school there. One hour before lunch started a man came into the dining room. I wondered why he is so early..it was just 11 am. He seemed to be middle aged (later he told me he's 65) and looked over to me many times. I bet he also wondered what I'm doing here so early or at all.
So to start the conversation I asked: "When is lunch being served here? At 11.30 or 12?" 12 o'clock he responded to my question. We started talking and he told me his whole life..He was married to a woman, with whom he had a 6 year old son, but who has left him. He's 65 years old and lives about 200 meters aways from the local food bank. Three years ago he had an operation in his upper arm, that's why he can't move his arm very good, has a crutch and can not cook on his own. Since his operation he comes to the local food service every day. He told me about his 6 year old soon, his kids from previous marriages and his neighbours. He asked me which school I attend and if I know any of his neighbours who are my age. I didn't know anyone, but that's not important.
The clock showed 12. A lot of people came in. Older people, younger people, couples, singles, friends, families. They all sat down at other tables. No one sat down at our table, the 65 year old man's and mine. Although there were about 15 or 20 chairs at this table, it was the biggest one in the whole local food bank. At all other tables there were just about 4 and 6 seats.
The man started to eat and I continued reading my magazine - I didn't want to eat anything, although the food there is very good. After some time - he was still eating - I had to go back to school. I told him where I'm about to go and goodbye.

On my way to school I thought about this afternoon at the food bank and the man at my table. I felt pity for him..he lives all alone and comes over for lunch every day just for company. No one sat down at our table. He came every day and no one talked to him. I don't know if it was, because I already sat there or if it was just these one day..I so much hope this was an exceptional day!

I feel happy to have talked to him. But although this was great often I feel very bad: Why so many people are alone? Why can't everyone just have someone to talk to? It's very unfair. When I'm in "my world" .. with my family and friends, surrounded by people I like, doing things I like I often forget about the poor, lonely people out there. I guess everyone does forget about them during his everyday life.

So..I just talked to the man for a short time. This hour has just been one of twenty four hours this day had..and talking was just a small gesture, but I think it has helped the both of us a lot. He was lonely, and I joined his loneliness. We were lonely together then. I will remember this talk for a long time, maybe forever. Not because of the things we told each other - they haven't been special. But because of this feeling of company. I made him happy that moment and he made me happy.

Everytime I have the chance to have a talk like this, share my life or any part of it like this, I do it. I try to be with the lonely people and I want you to do that to.
If you see a poor person give him something...food, a conversation or just a smile. They just want to be seen and know someone cares about them. They - lonely people. Maybe poor people, rich people, your next door neighbour, the person who seems to have no friends or the person who seems to have the most friends. Get to know them. And if there is a local food bank at your place, why don't you go there and just be with other people?

"This world will never be happy if anyone is lonesome."


Lots of Love xoxo

2 comments: